Monitoring of the surface appearance of daguerreotypes during their first tarnishing, electrolytic cleaning and possible re-tarnishing after treatment
Host Institution: UVA
Application of imaging techniques to assess the surface modification of daguerreotypes during their alteration and further restoration using controlled electrolytic processes:
- Development of a monitoring protocol for tarnishing process using imaging techniques.
- Definition of the conditions for a controlled electrolytic removal of the tarnishing.
- Use of the monitoring protocol to assess cleaning process and further reactivity of a metal surface.
- Application on real daguerreotypes and optimization according to the nature of tarnishing and the conservation condition of the artifacts.
- Robert G Erdmann (UvA)
- Christian Degrigny (HES SO)
- Martin Jürgens (RM)